
Before
The c-section was scheduled for 7:30 and this is where things get a little interesting. My doctor FORGOT about my c-section. Yes, you read that right. I have never heard of that happening to anyone else, but if you knew my doctor, you wouldn't be all that surprised. Don't get me wrong, she is a great doctor and I wouldn't imagine seeing anyone else, but she's a little flighty at times.
At 7:15 or so, they walked me across the hall to the operating room where I sat up on the table and the anesthesiologist prepped me for the spinal. They can't give it to you until the doctor has made an appearance because it works very quickly. So there I sat on this table, in a room that's about 60 degrees with my backside open to a couple of male anesthesiolgists sitting behind me talking about sports. The nurses called the front desk a few times to see if they had seen her yet. They paged her twice and at about ten minutes to 8:00 they called her at home. Ten minutes later she comes flying into the doorway of the operating room. She starts apologizing, telling me how she only schedules surgeries on Tuesdays and Fridays (I was originally scheduled for Tuesday, July 14) and can't believe she forgot about mine. And then said, "Look (pointing down to her shoes), I'm going to have a reminder of this the rest of the day because I put two different shoes on." Sure enough, in her rush to get out of the house, she had put on one black pump and one brown one.
At that moment, I remember thinking, "Okay, you're here. Now try to calm down before you cut me open!" They gave me the spinal and let Dan in the room. And a few minutes later, we met Rylie. When I heard her cry, I can't even describe the feeling I had. I started bawling. It's an emotion that I can't explain, but a feeling that I'll remember for the rest of my life.

Meeting Rylie

Giving the news to the grandparents
Dan left the room with Rylie while they finished up with me. And the rest of the day is a bit fuzzy for me. The combination of the pain medication in the spinal and the anti-nausea medication kept me from opening my eyes for almost the entire day! I looked like this...

After

Rylie showing off her guns

One happy first-time grandma (Kearns)

Grandpa and Grandma Wille

Getting her first look at daddy


I recovered fairly quickly from the surgery. I was able to get out of bed and stand the first day (once I could actually keep my eyes open). I was walking around the second day, so I was able to ditch the IV and leg compression bands. I didn't have any swelling, which was also great. We spent 3 nights in the hospital and had a few family visitors while we were there.

Auntie Leslie and big cousins Michael and Brady (Uncle Chris was there too)

Aunt Marcia ( Uncle Ted was there too)

Cousin Christa

Cousin Earl
By Thursday morning we were ready to get home! My mom and dad were both coming that day as well. My dad was stayed through the weekend and my mom stayed for the whole next week.

We're outta here!
1 comment:
You know, I wondered why it took so long to hear from you after your C-section...the doctor forgetting about you explains it!! Can't wait to meet her! :)
Post a Comment